17 December 2008

A REAL Agility Trial: The Blue Dog Loses His Mind

Sorry it’s been such a long time. I’m still trying to figure out what exactly happened to me the other week. I was right – I did get to run in an actual agility trial. It was very exciting. Unfortunately, it was a little too exciting. You might not know this about me but when I get excited I start to bark. Once I start barking, my brain just kind of shuts down. That’s not a good thing.

Mom took me to a trial in the same building where I went for the run-thrus. It was really different, though. There were a lot more people and dogs and I was really nervous. There was really a lot going on. I got to do three runs both days. I decided the first day that it didn’t really make sense to sit at the start line waiting to go so I just took off even though mom hadn’t told me to go. Plus, all of those other dogs were right on top of me and I just wanted to get away. I know I shouldn’t have done that but I didn’t get in trouble. Mom just adapted and let me run. I really, really, really like to run. Then, I decided that I didn’t need to stop on the contacts. I know better than that but it was all so exciting and I couldn’t help myself. I have to say, I was quite impressed at the amount of air I caught leaping off the frame. Maybe I should play Dockdogs with Fergus.

I really lost my mind at the weaves. I don’t know why but I couldn’t stop barking. It’s on tape. And it’s not flattering. According to mom, I barked more than 20 seconds at the weaves in one of the runs on Sunday. I guess that’s a really long time. It’s not that I didn’t want to do them. I just couldn’t. My brain was all confused by the excitement and I didn’t want to have to think. I just wanted to run around and let the judge see how much I love the game.

It’s hard to say if being at an actual trial met my expectations or not because it’s all kind of a blur. I got lots of cheese and meatballs, so that was good. I was able to hang out with mom without anyone else trying to steal my time so that was good, too. I didn’t know that I would be so stressed about it all. I guess I was just really overwhelmed by all of the dogs, people and noise. I know that mom thought I did pretty well even though I didn’t get any ribbons. I sure wish I would have gotten a ribbon. Everyone else has them. I did get a toy, though. I really like squeaky toys. At least until the BFF grabs them from me and rips them apart. So far she hasn’t destroyed my toy.

I’m not sure when I’ll get to run at a trial again. I know that dad was sad that I wasn’t at home with him and I really did miss hanging out with dad and The Cowboy. I also know that I need to work on not being stressed before I can run again. And I need to keep working on impulse control. I have a feeling it might be a while before I get to run.

As a final note, did you know that you only get half of your breakfast when you go to a trial? I didn’t know that. The Red Dog told me that once but I thought he was just saying it because he didn’t want me going to trials. It’s actually true. For once in his silly red life he was telling the truth. Leave it to him to wait until it’s about something really important. Like breakfast.

No comments: